A smart lock is an electronic lock that allows you to lock & unlock your door remotely using your smartphone or other wireless devices. Smart locks provide keyless entry and offer more flexibility and security than traditional mechanical locks.
In this beginner’s guide, we’ll cover what you need to know about smart lock capabilities, types, benefits, installation, security, and choosing the right one for your needs.
Types of smart locks
There are several styles of smart locks available:
– Lever handle: Replaces just the interior lever handle of your existing deadbolt. Easy to install.
– Push-pull: The smart lock is on both sides of the entryway. Just “push” or “pull” to lock or unlock the door.
– Deadbolt: A full smart deadbolt replacement providing keyless entry and remote control.
-Glass door lock: Special smart locks for office glass doors or storefronts.
Each type has pros and cons based on your needs and installation requirements. Deadbolt and lever-style smart locks are the most versatile.
Benefits of smart locks
There are many advantages to upgrading to a smart lock system:
– You can finally Get rid of keys
– More security
– Remote access
– Share access
-Multiple ways to unlock
Most DIY installations take 30-60 minutes following the step-by-step manual. If you are uncomfortable replacing your lock, professional installation is available from most smart lock companies like Go Digital Locks, which provides free shipping and installation across Singapore. Be sure to check their website for current offers.
Security and privacy concerns
While smart locks provide greater convenience, there are some security considerations:
– Use strong, unique passwords and enable 2-factor authentication. This secures your smart lock account from intruders.
– Don’t share access codes publicly or on social media. Treat codes like passwords.
– Check that your smart lock and smartphone app are updated with the latest firmware and software to patch vulnerabilities.
– Register your smart lock to receive essential security notifications from the manufacturer.
Following basic best practices ensures your smart lock remains secure and private. Take steps to prevent unauthorized access.
Choosing the right smart lock for you
When selecting a smart lock, consider factors like:
Budget – Smart locks range widely in price from $200 to $900+ based on features. Determine how much you want to spend.
Desired features – Do you need remote access? Temporary codes? Certain integrations? Voice control? Make a list of must-have features.
Compatibility: Ensure the smart lock will work with your existing door setup before purchasing.
I’d recommend considering Kaiser+, Hafele, Samsung, and kaadas smart locks, which provide excellent functionality and security in the $300-$900 range. Read smart lock reviews and do your research to find the perfect fit. If you don’t love to research, go straight to Go Digital Lock; they have 9 different Top brands – all that would meet your budget, preference, and more!